In case you haven't noticed, I have been on quite a hiatus from blogging.
I am ALMOST done with my dietetic internship (3 weeks left or so!) and finally have some extra time on my hands again.
I can't believe how fast Summer went and we are already a few weeks into Fall.
I'll be honest, I am ready for this season's warm, savory stuff to get back into my diet! Although the freshness of Summer and Spring is great, there is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup or stew.
Which brings me to this creation!
Although this may look like Pho (a Vietnamese soup), it is simply a chicken and vegetable soup that I used ramen for.
This soup is a great way to use up any excess vegetables you may have. It also makes a huge amount, so it is a good recipe for anyone who likes to do some early week meal prep!
I started to make this soup a few weeks ago, so that I had something easy to heat up and eat for lunch and dinner.
I make homemade chicken broth for this, which just adds great flavor to this soup. This also allows you to boil the chicken for the soup.
You can easily substitute a store-bought chicken broth, but make sure to aim for a low-sodium version!
Let's get to it!
It's comforting, yet very light. The broth lightly takes on all those flavors from the vegetables and chicken, which adds tons of depth and freshness.
You really can't beat this simplicity.
Add some fresh cilantro or parsley on top, with more pepper if you like it extra spicy.
However you do it, make it how you love it!
As always, I hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE (and SO excited to be back!),
3 chicken breast
8 cups water
1 tbsp salt
1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
8 oz container sliced portabello mushrooms
1/4 green cabbage, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, sliced
8 stalks asparagus, chopped
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 tbsp dry white wine (optional)
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 package ramen noodles (without seasoning packet)
8 cup chicken broth (from recipe, or store bought - low sodium)
1 chicken breast, shredded
1. Season chicken with salt, add to large pot with 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until chicken has fully cooked. You may notice white foam accumulate on top of the water (it's from the chicken), feel free to remove it with a spoon.
2. Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from broth. Strain the broth into another large pot, and set aside.
3. In a separate pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until they have caramelized. Add garlic, stir and cook for about 30 seconds and pour in wine.
4. Add cabbage, asparagus and carrots. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
5. At this time, you want to bring the chicken broth back up to a boil.
6. Finish vegetable blend by adding broccoli and allowing to cook for about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and stir.
7. Once the broccoli turns a bright green color, add the chicken broth, soy sauce, shredded chicken and ramen noodles.
8. Allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes, then turn off heat. The vegetables and noodles will continue cooking.
9. Don't forget to taste and adjust salt&pepper for your seasoning preference!